Friday, January 10, 2014

12 Days of Meyers - Meyer Mule


I first met the talented writer behind the Mad Betty website not quite two years ago. In fact, when I met her, I was already following her blog but I did not know it was hers. I also found that I kept wanting to call her Betty instead of Kristin. Since then, we have become fast friends. I love that she reviews two of my favorite shows, Mad Men and Breaking Bad.  It never fails that her take on each episode is exactly how I saw it, but then, she'll pose a thought that I did not catch and I love that.  She is always bright and cheery and we always have great conversations when we get together.  Her blog is like reading a subscription magazine as it’s packed with posts on all kinds of cool topics, from movie reviews to restaurant openings to her own twist on holidays and the local food scene.  I am super-excited that she agreed to guest write for me. I’m a huge fan of Moscow Mules and now a bigger fan of Meyer Mules. Kristin proves that if you just take a simple recipe and exchange one flavor component, you can have a whole new explosion of possibilities. Her take on this traditional cocktail is just like her - savvy and sweet with a touch of spice.  Is it five o'clock yet?



Meyer Mule

The Moscow Mule never goes out of style. The classic cocktail is loved for its pleasant bite from spicy ginger beer and tart lime topped with a hefty dose of smooth vodka. It’s traditionally served icy cold in a copper cup that calls to mind romantic old Hollywood nights.

My twist on the original replaces the lime juice with Meyer lemon flavors that mellow out the acidity and leave a sweet finish. But the triple strength ginger brew is like a fierce kick in the pants from Stalin himself. The combination of rugged bite and elegant sophistication make it an ideal cocktail for gatherings of mixed company. Classy dames and motorcycle gangs alike will guzzle down these Meyer Mules.



Meyer Mule


Simmer the following ingredients in a small saucepan until well incorporated to make a lemony simple syrup:

1 cup water
½ cup sugar
Zest of one Meyer lemon

In a shaker of ice add:

2 oz high quality vodka
3 oz ginger beer
Juice of half a Meyer lemon
2 TB lemon simple syrup
2-3 mint leaves, gently crushed by hand

Stir ingredients until well chilled and strain into glass of ice. Garnish with additional lemon and mint.




No comments:

Post a Comment