Monday, January 13, 2014

12 Days of Meyers - Gluten Free Meyer Buttermilk Cake


This wonderful blogger and dear friend is also one that is very dear to my heart. I first met her several years ago at the first Austin Food Swap. Back then, I was not sure what a "food swap" was all about. Kate explained it with such ease and her sense of hospitality was warm and open. The swaps have gotten bigger and better over the years, but my fondest memories are of those first small swaps. Since that first meeting, I have picked loquats with this lady and enjoyed tea on her lovely patio. Her hospitality is no secret to locals as she is the author behind 'The Hip Girls Guide To Homemaking", a spin-off from her hugely popular blog. Along with her wife  JoAnn and their sweet little pup Isobel, she lives in a super cool house in East Austin where you will most likely find her canning, writingrepurposing or getting ready for a class to teach.  She is as lovely as the ideas in her book and I'm so excited that she took time out of her busy schedule (finishing the second edition of Hip Girls Guide to Homemaking) to whip up a Meyer creation for this series. She bakes gluten-free so no surprise that she made this tasty cake for this post. Enjoy!




This is a variation on the buttermilk cake I make often, both as a last minute dessert and as a brunch party special touch. I've also doubled the recipe and made cream cheese frosting to end up with a birthday layer cake. I adore this cake and have Julia to thank for turning me onto it. You can use the flour combination in my original post or use a gluten-free flour blend like Pamela's [Artisan] or basic I have a few temporary dietary restrictions so I've substituted out the dairy buttermilk and the sugar (indicated in the recipe in parenthesis). I dare say you can't mess up this forgiving not-too-sweet cake.



Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Cake (gluten-free)
by Kate Payne




1. Grease an 8- or 9-inch baking pan of any shape. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine your dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl:
1 cup gluten-free flour mix (that doesn’t contain leaveners, baking soda/powder)
1/2 cup sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3. Combine your wet ingredients in a separate bowl:
1/2 cup buttermilk  (I whisked together 125ml almond milk, 25 ml coconut milk, 2 tsp strained Meyer lemon juice)
1 egg
1/2 stick (or 1/4 cup) butter, melted
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or Meyer limoncello if you have it!)
  finely grated zest of 1 large Meyer lemon

4. Add wet to dry, and mix to combine so there are no more dry flour-y patches. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for about another 10-12 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when a toothpick poked in the very center comes out without dough-y goo. Serve warm or at room temperature with lemon curd, Meyer lemon marmalade or strawberry jam!
Store at room temp, sealed in a parchment bag for up to 3 days or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment