Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dulce De Leche Mmmmmmm!



As hard as I try to get things done during the summer I always find that I am forced to stop, take a moment or two, and slow myself down. I'm not sure if it's the screaming hot days of Texas or the mental "release" from those rigid work and school schedules that tells us but whatever it is, it leaves me in a slow-motion mode. With this "summer slow down", I am constantly trying to cook quick, fresh things so as I won't be stuck in the hot kitchen. I'm not one for a bunch of fancy gadgets - especially the ones that take up what little counter space I have. However, with that said, I will state that my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker has been one of the best bangs for my buck (next to my beloved Kitchen-Aid mixer). Coming up with delicious ice cream flavors has been easier than you can imagine. It only takes 20 min to whip up a creamy, cool and delicious treat and I don't even need to turn the stove on to make the custard.

Tonight we will be enjoying fajitas and since it was too late for me to get a flan ready for dessert, I thought, why not make some dulce de leche ice cream instead. It was about as simple as my "simply delicious vanilla" ice cream. I just played around until I got the flavor how I wanted it. I also threw in some mini chocolate chips for my husband (it's his favorite). So if you forgot dessert, no worries! Just take the flavors of your favorite cake/pie/cookie and throw it in an ice cream maker it will take less time and taste just as fabulous, I'm jus' sayin'!

Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

3 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can of Nestle la Lechera (dulce de leche)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 Tbs. of vanilla
1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips (optional)

With a wire whisk, combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips (this may take a bit to break the leche up in the mix, but it can be done). Pour into your ice cream maker and proceed per the manufacturer's directions. Right before you are finished, sprinkle the chips in. Freeze for about an hour to create a harder consistency.

2 comments:

  1. I think what I like most about this recipe is the simplicity. I've been reading a lot about ice cream lately, and I often don't have the time to make custard and chill it before making the ice cream. I'll have to try this approach. Love the chocolate chips too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Natanya you always give me such encouragement. It really is easy!

    ReplyDelete