Wednesday, January 9, 2013

12 Days of Meyer - Day 12: "When Life Gives You Meyers..."



When life gives you an amazing lemon tree that produces more fruit than one can possibly use, it only seems right to share the bounty with others. I had the pleasure of being the Meyer Fairy this past month because our tree had one of those super-productive years. I gave them to friends, neighbors, family members, and some of my favorite food bloggers. I loved how excited they were to receive a big bag of them. Several friends even bartered their own specialties with me which was such a treat. They were all so creative with what they did with the lemons and some even blogged about there Meyer loot. Below you will find stories and links to some of my favorite bloggers and what they did with their lemons. I hope you enjoy reading their entries as much as I did! At this point, I think it's quite possible I could commit to writing a blog solely about Meyer lemons. Unfortunately, I must get back to reality as my tree has been picked almost clean and the cold weather marks an end to another season. Good thing I have a freezer full of freshly juiced juice to last me the rest of the year... I'm jus' sayin'!




First up, check out this trailer if you are in Austin down on Rainey Street. You are sure to get a delicious Persian treat. Chef Nanez is the culinary wonder behind Wholly Kabob and every day she has something new and tasty to accompany her regular menu. She used her Meyers to make a salad shirazi and saffron chicken and I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Next, my friend Carla over at Austin Urban Gardens bartered with me, offering some yummy canned goods from her pantry. Her blog keeps you in the know with all that is in season, as well as what you should be growing in your gardens. She is also the one who is always up on what's happening with the local farmers here in Austin. I encourage you to check out her site.

This next blogger is the cutest little Southern sweetheart whom I originally met through facebook and have recently gotten to know in person. When Katie received her lemons she went home and created this lovely little appetizer. I especially love how she admits the first round was not as she had hoped but kept at it until it was perfected. She is as cute and sassy in her writing as she is in person, so check out her blog if you get a chance.

If you follow me on facebook you should know that I re-post this next lady's recipes on a regular basis. She is a very dear friend and if you are looking for a blog that you can just pull a seat up to, start reading, and instantly feel like you are with her in her kitchen, well then this is the one. I can personally say that she is exactly as she writes. Down home, witty, sassy, and full of Southern charm. If Maggie's pictures don't draw you in at the start, then her lovely stories will. I promise it will be hard to leave her site. This gremolata recipe is just one of her many lemon recipes that she used the Meyers for. I hope you enjoy Notes From Maggies Farm as much as I do.

Tiffany from Trailer food Diaries created several flavors of lemon curd using her lemons. If you have not had a chance to read her latest cookbook I highly recommend it as it's chock full of local trailer food from here in Austin.

My sassy and witty friend Hilah over at HilahCooks bumped up the old family favorite Lemon Bars by using Meyers. She also made some Limoncello and shared some of her stash of lemons with another friend (I love that). Her videos will make you laugh and you will always learn something new whether you are a beginner in the kitchen or a pro. Her printed cookbook was released in 2012 and it's as witty and informative as her popular videos.

My favorite Hip Girl Kate took no time at all to use her box of lemons. As the queen of hip homemaking she quickly used her Meyers to create a yummy lemon strawberry paletas (recipe will be in her upcoming new book out in the Spring of 2014). She also made this yummy marmalade and encouraged a friend towards canning by sharing some of her stash.  If you are looking for a unique gift for the new homemaker/bride or even a college student that wants to be hip in this modern world then I suggest getting your hands on this book.

Addie is our local food writer over at the Austin Statesman. She took 2 loads of lemons with her, one for her family and one for her Mom in Missouri, whom she was visiting while on Christmas break. She made her Mom some limoncello and then just last night finished up making a delightful Meyer lemon tart.

My personal trainer Jeremy from 10 RM Fitness received his first bag of Meyers from me in early December. He had never had them before, so he was obviously blown away by the perfect balance of lemon and tangerine flavors in these sweet orbs. Besides eating them whole (yes you can do that) he kept a supply of lemon water going for his clients. Of course, I had to bring him another bag as he is now sold on the nutritional value and deliciousness of this lemon.

Check out these great ideas from MadBetty. I gave her a bag after Christmas and she has been busy busy. She sent me a note which I think explains it all - "I've been squeezing them into everything! They are the juiciest Meyers I've ever seen. I used the juice in a vegan mac and cheese dish, (stay tuned for the post) over fish and shrimp, in a pasta sauce with garlic, tomatoes and white wine, in herbal tea with honey, and in my smoothies. Mr Betty and I have been enjoying the lemony goodness so much!"

My dear pastry chef friend Christy over at epicuriousities took her lemons and got to work on some up-coming top secret recipes for her day job at cookingplanit.com, however, if you can't wait for that recipe, then check out this link for her special lemon tart recipe.

Finally, South Austin Foodie took her Meyers and made Christmas gifts with them. She gave me a gift of Meyer lemon candied ginger scones and - Oh My! - those were probably the best scones I have ever had. She usually writes only about restaurants, however, on this special occasion she was willing to share her scone recipe with my readers. Thank you a hundred times over as these really are a delicious treat. If you need to know where to eat in South Austin, please check out her blog and by all means try this recipe.

Crystalized Ginger and Lemon Scones
SouthAustinFoodie

1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 ¼ cups white flour
⅓ cup sugar (can omit if glazing)
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt (Redmond Real)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (more, if using Meyer lemons)
1 ½ sticks frozen butter, cut into pats, and halved
4 - 5 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped (can do in food processor), equaling ⅔ cup
1 cup heavy cream (use less if using regular flour, not whole wheat), plus additional for brushing tops (optional if glazing)

If glazing:
½ - ¾ cup powdered sugar, sifted
½ - 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 – 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In food processor, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add zest and butter, pulsing until it becomes a fine meal; pour into large bowl
Stir in ginger.
Make a well in the center, and add cream, stirring gently to combine.
Turn dough onto counter with Silpat; gently knead and gather into a ball.
Pat the dough out into a rectangle, about 1” tall (approximately 8” x 8”); can use knife or bench scraper to cut into pieces.
Transfer Silpat to baking sheet; bake for about 18 minutes, until golden.
If glazing, combine all ingredients and drizzle over the tops once cool.

Just in case you missed any of the 12 Days of Meyer posts, I've added the links to each post below for an easy review. Also, I always love broadening my Meyer repertoire so if you have a recipe, please feel free to share the link or any other creative ideas you have for them in the comments below.  Sweet or Savory, you just can't go wrong with these globes of sunshine.

Day 1 - Preserved Meyer Lemons
Day 2 - Meyer Water
Day 3 - Meyer Muffins
Day 4 - Meyer Thyme Butter
Day 5 - Meyer Household Cleaner
Day 6 - Meyer Hummus
Day 7 - Chicken Piccata
Day 8 - Meyer Sponge Pudding
Day 9 - Meyer Margarita
Day 10 - Candied Meyers
Day 11 - Meyer Blackberry Phosphate
Day 12 - Meyer Round-Up

If you're interested, here are some older posts highlighting Meyer lemons:
Meyer Lemon Shortbread
Bob's Limoncello
Lady Bird's Lemon Bundt Cake
Lemonade Pie
Ginger Lavender Lemonade
Vanilla-Infused Lemonade
Meyer Lemon Tartlets

12 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know, we have a batch of limoncello going and I made a Meyer lemon smoked habanero mustard last weekend. So far it's good but I won't know full results for a few weeks. I've also got a lemon horseradish mustard planned with the rest of the juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yank in Texas, Those mustards sound amazing what a great use for the lemons. Please let me know if you post the recipe as I would love to try them. I have many gallons of juice in the freezer and I love mustard that would certainly be a win win. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  2. Carissa (A Texas Twist)January 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM

    Didn't realize my google account was still a Yank in Texas. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm laughing Carissa, as I almost said in the comment above that I have a friend who makes some delicious mustards and jams. (ahem you) but I had no idea it was you. Okay so I know I won't get your recipes lol but I know they will be available for purchase soon, so keep us in the loop when those mustards will be ready. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I'm so impressed by all these creative recipes. I think half of Austin benefitted from your bountiful tree. Thank you again for the lemony goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are more than welcome Kristin-Not sure if I have told you how excited I am that we got to know each other better in 2012-Can't wait to spend more time with you and Mr. Betty (wink) in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been enjoying catching up on all the lovely goodness folks have been making with your meyers. What a bumper crop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Shelly, we certainly had one this year. Hope you get to this years sxsw party to have some of this years limoncello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristina! I wanted to thank you for the lemons. I made a delicious batch of ceviche with them for Christmas Eve. Here's the recipe, if you want to check it out! http://marymakesdinner.typepad.com/marymakesdinner/2012/12/meyer-lemon-and-pomegranate-ceviche.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love it! Ceviche Yummmmm! Thank you so much for the mention in the blog post.

      Delete

  8. Can I just say that I just got to reread this (I was in Pittsburgh when it was originally published) and it just made a very difficult few weeks so much better. I love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand-we get busy sometimes. Glad you could re-read it.

      Delete