Monday, October 4, 2010

Multi-Tasking Food & Conversation



Lately I find that I'm always in a hurry to get from one place to another. I will be busy with my daily chores and errands before I realize it's time to rush home and put dinner on the table. Because I am constantly on the prowl for new recipes, I always keep my ears open for conversations about food. Whether I'm at the grocer or having coffee with a neighbor, I am constantly jotting recipes down on paper and throwing them in my back pocket or purse, only to pull them out later to try. It's okay if it's just scribbled because I generally tend to tweak them to my taste anyways. I provide that information as a background because this next recipe came by way of coffee talk. I was having coffee at a neighbor's and chatting about food when she told me her son had made this pie. She got the recipe and tweaked it to make it to her taste and then she quickly jotted the list of ingredients down on a piece of scrap paper for me to tweak and make my own. I find this happens more often than not with many Southern cooks. It comes as no surprise to me that in most any conversation, food is somehow, in some way, worked into the dialog. So it makes perfect sense to hear midway through a cup of coffee "Oh I made this really good pie for Sunday supper last week" sandwiched in between "did you hear Aunt June is feeling under the weather?" and "What is going on with those Longhorns?". It's at that point that you stick your hand in your purse for a pen and paper. Who says we can't carry on a good conversation while figuring out what's for dinner? It's called multi-tasking! I'm jus' sayin'!





Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

Crush 25 chocolate sandwich cookies
mix with 4 tbs. melted butter

Press into a pie pan and bake in a 350 oven 15 min-Cool

(of course you could buy a pre-made cookie crust to save time but you would not have any left over cookies to munch on at midnight)

Mix the following together until creamy and incorporated

8oz. cream cheese
1 Cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 Cup confectioners Sugar
8oz tub of non dairy whipped topping

Dianne's Tweaks: she used a chocolate crust and she crushed a handful of butter toffee peanuts to sprinkle on top of finished pie.

My Tweaks: I place half the filling in the pie shell and then drizzle 1/4 cup of hot fudge sauce all over - I then cover that with the rest of the filling, I garnish with shaved chocolate and whipped cream.

How will you tweak it?

No comments:

Post a Comment