Sunday, September 29, 2013

Remembering A Special Time


As the summer days come to a close and Fall sets in on the calendar, I am once again reminded of why this is my favorite time of year. My favorite color of orange displays its many hues from pumpkins to harvest moon sunsets. Comfort foods – soups, stews and roasts – find a place on my table. Sweet smells of cinnamon and spice greet guests as they enter our home. Though I live in a very warm climate, cool breezes occasionally find their way here to dance amongst the trees and eventually the leaves change color before falling to the ground. With all that said, Fall in Texas is more about football than the scenic backdrops of New England, so it helps on these warm Autumn days to think back to a very special trip I took with some dear friends to experience what a true New England Fall really is. Grab yourself a cup of tea or a Pumpkin Spiced Latte and join me as I share some of my favorite memories of that trip through photos.
Everywhere we looked were leaves of different colors.

Make no mistake, the covered bridges are exactly how Norman Rockwell described them.
I found myself mesmerized by this street. I wanted to live in one of these houses just so I could see this every day when I left home. 
Yes! God is a great painter.
Sleepy little towns beckoned us to their shopfronts with these sweet displays of comfort.
I just love that the decorations look just as beautiful as the jewelry in display inside.
Makes me want to go back to Sunday service.
We passed so many "honor" pumpkin stands. If only I could have put them in my suitcase.
You can't buy these at Michaels.
We drove up to a "pick your own" apple orchard. Unfortunately they were closed. So we drove up a little farther to a fruit stand that had plenty of fresh apples and apple cider doughnuts.
We took so many pictures of leaves and every one of them unique.
Julie and I hanging out on one of our Fall Hikes – yes, that is what we called them. We pulled over on the side of roads and just took off with our cameras. What a glorious feeling to not be rushed in this gorgeous country.
I'm so in my Happy Place!
It's not hard to figure out how painters get their inspiration.
Fresh crisp apples anyone?
How about a pumpkin?
One thing I noticed all over New England is that people had pumpkins or jack o'lanterns sitting on their wrap-around porches or stone hedges. Don't you love that you can see the lines still on this one.
Karen made each of us a little hand-stitched owl on the plane. We decided to take pics of our owls in each town like the Travelocity gnome.
Karen, Julie and I shared a moment in time that will forever be imprinted on my heart and soul. I am so happy that we had the opportunity to take this trip and these girls made it so special. Now if I can only persuade my husband to move me back every year from October to November, I would be the happiest girl in the world... I'm jus' sayin'!

3 comments:

  1. Awhhh! What fun memories! That was such a fun girl trip. It was absolutely gorgeous and just as you described. A wonderful time with wonderful friends. (I forgot about the owls!) When do we go again?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! As much as I'd enjoy a New England Fall, I know I'd hate a New England winter. Guess I'll just resign myself to the Texas heat because our nice, mild winters more than make up for the hellish summers. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Pics, summer season one of the best season,I love this season.By seeing your pics, I guess you enjoying a lot.

    ReplyDelete