Sunday, December 25, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude Day 25 - Leftovers


I don't know about you but I am blessed to have not only a fridge full of leftovers but also a ton of cookies, candy, and assorted breads from neighbors that should last me well beyond the New Year. I'm estimating that I won't have to go to the grocer once this week and that's including produce. I know some folks are not big on leftovers but I have a different approach. I really enjoy remaking them into new dishes. I just look at those leftovers and pretend they are in a picnic basket on "Chopped" and start pulling things together. This is a trick I use because my husband was never a big fan of leftovers, so I'm always up for a challenge and making them into a different dish is fun. This week is a "catch-up" and relaxing week before school and work start up in the New Year. So having a fridge full of leftovers will be a welcome addition to menu planning and a blessing to our food bill... I'm jus' sayin'!

"Leftovers in their less visible form are called memories. Stored in the refrigerator of the mind and the cupboard of the heart."
~ Thomas Fuller

"The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found."
~ Calvin Trillin

"My favorite time of day is to get up and eat leftovers from dinner, especially spicy food."
~ David Byrne

Here's my list of some leftovers...

Prime Rib
Potatoes au gratin
Yorkshire Puddings
Apple Salad
Brussel Sprouts
Apple Sauce
Gingerbread
Creme Brulee
Shrimp Scampi
Leeks
Potatoes
Paté
Mushrooms
Tangerines

Here are some of the dishes I'm making using the above...

Mini Wellingtons using prime rib, mushrooms, paté and some puff-pastry from the freezer.
Mini-gingerbread trifles using the ginger loaf and creme brulee with some candied tangerines.
Spicy shrimp chowder for lunch using potatoes, leeks and shrimp.
Granola parfaits for breakfast, layering apple salad and granola in mason jars.
Apple french toast bake using cut up Yorkshire puddings, eggs, vanilla sugar and applesauce, baked in a casserole.

Take the left-over challenge in your fridge and see what you can come up with and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment