Thursday, December 15, 2011

30 Days of Gratitude Day 15 - Ornaments

I just finished putting the last ornament up on our family's formal Christmas tree. Yes, I said "formal" Christmas tree because I also have a funky Austin tree in my kitchen and each person in my house has their own personal table top tree. (No, I'm not Martha and it's really not as elaborate as it may sound.) As I was taking out each ornament it occurred to me that I have so many memories wrapped up in this tree. I'm so thankful that I can look at each one and be reminded of a special moment in our lives.

I am reminded of my honeymoon with the sweet little Canadian Mountie ornament and so thankful for the years we have had together...


Or our beginning years, when we did not have money for fancy ornaments, I took photos and hung them (we still have them)...


The year my sweet little girl gave up her pacifer to the angels - it hangs every year to remind her that she is secure in herself without material items...


I have my sons first walking shoes hanging on a limb - it makes me thankful just knowing he is healthy, as well as a great reminder we sometimes need to take baby steps to succeed!


I have precious hand painted ornaments from friends given over the years, as I hang them I am reminded of their love...


I have ornaments from other countries that remind me of special visitors we have had...


I have those sweet little handcrafted ornaments that the kids made over the years in school - a reminder of how thankful I am for their education...


I have special ornaments from students that make me thankful for having those years of teaching.


I have an old pipe ornament that is an exact replica of the one my Daddy smoked - I'm so thankful that I can remember that cherry cavendash scent of tobacco...


Each ornament, whether made with popsicle sticks or hand blown glass, carry a price higher than gold for they are heavily ladened with love and memories which to me is the very heart of Christmas... I'm jus' sayin'!

"The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Education is an ornament in prosperity and a refuge in adversity.
~ Aristotle

"He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.
~ Roy L. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment