Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Steel Magnolias & Lunch


What happens when you put triple-digit weather and a southern chick-flick together? How about a smokin' hot movie date to get the pheromones in order. I recently indoctrinated my twelve year old daughter into the world of Steel Magnolias. You know, the 80's quintessential all-time movie about southern charm. My daughter took to it like Anelle did to Sammy's cherry Coke, so I decided it was time to rally together and find others to join in. You've heard of movie night? Well, take one of those lazy summer days and turn it into a movie luncheon. Steel Magnolias is all about small town charm, American holidays, ladies of all walks and ages and of course food! After watching this movie more times than I care to admit, it never ceases to surprise me how so many scenes are based around food. After all, the South is all about comfort food. So grab your sister friends - you know, the ones that have always been a jar of spice in your pantry of life, and design a menu based around the movie. Pull recipes straight from the scenes, like "cupa cupa cupa cake", or get creative and put your own spin on them (bleeding armadillo cake balls). Have each girlfriend bring a dish and let the movie roll. You might find yourself giving some old movies a new makeover. Or better yet, you may find some old recipes that have been needing some reviving of their own... I'm jus' sayin'!


Steel Magnolias (menu)


Anelle's Hottest Ticket in Town Shrimp & Hush Puppies

Ms. Kari's Cheese Dip and Veggies

Bleeding Armadillo Cake Balls

Best Cherry Cokes Ever



Bleeding Armadillo Cake Balls


1 Recipe of Red Velvet Cake (baked)
2 Cups Favorite Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 Package of White Almond Bark (found in the chocolate chip aisle)

Take warm cake and place in a large bowl. With a potato masher or your hands, break up cake into fine crumbs. Mix in the icing until a play-doh consistency is formed. Form into golf ball size balls. Place onto wax paper-lined cookie sheet. When all balls are formed, stick in freezer for 15 minutes to firm up.

Break the pre-scored almond bark into chunks, melt in microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute and stir. If still not melted, return to microwave for NO MORE than another 30 seconds.

Dip cold balls into almond bark and shake off excess by gently tapping the ball on a fork over the bowl of melted bark. Gently place on wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Place in fridge for 15 minutes to firm up. Keep in fridge until ready to serve.


Ms. Kari's Cheese dip (Like the Southern stand-by Pimento Cheese minus the Pimentos)


1 Stick Softened Butter
1 8 oz. Pkg. Softened Cream Cheese
1 6oz. Jar of Cheese Whiz
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
Garlic Powder to taste (I suggest 1 tsp.)
1/2 Cup of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Blend all together with mixer until creamy... serve with veggies and crackers...



7 comments:

  1. Armadillo cake balls, if those are the ones that you gave me as as goodbye farewell once then those are make the soul warm, melt in your mouth, tasty good! cake balls ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet pics and wonderful idea! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks sista friends-Yes Amy I made the lemon cake balls for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been somewhat fixated with making these cake balls after eating the heavenly ones you made last spring. I have a big event coming up & I’m in charge of dessert so I thought I’d better make a “test” batch this week. Having never made candy or anything with a chocolate shell coating I need HELP! How in the world do you get the bark coating so nice on the outside? (After the 5th one I had small cake pieces in my melted bark.) How do you dip them gently? Don’t laugh-I tried a fork, my fingers, a chopstick, nothing seems to get them out of the bowl and onto the wax paper so they look like yours (and my coating turned out so thick, which was yummy for me but probably too much for some). So can you provide some assistance for your readers who are dip clueless? THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin,
    Sounds like you picked up the right almond bark so that is the first step. Were the balls put in the freezer to firm up before dipping? When you use a fork you dip the ball into the chocolate then put the fork at the bottom of the ball and gently tap fork on the edge of the bowl balancing the ball, the excess chocolate should drop off the ball into the bowl thus creating the "smooth" finish you are looking for. Also you can tell by the picture above that my coating is quite thick, no worries like you said people will love them just like you. Keep playing and don't give up years ago I had to play and play to get some things right-you will I have no doubt-your a sushi chef after all. Good luck and let me know how they turned out. K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Krissy! I will try & try until I get right - they are such a fun treat. Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas - keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm going to give it a try. Cake balls, I've got my eye on YOU!

    ReplyDelete